guix-devel

Re: guix environment & PS1

From: 韋嘉誠
Subject: Re: guix environment & PS1
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:04:59 +0200

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)" <address@hidden> skribis:
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Ricardo Wurmus
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I’m mostly using “guix environment” with a single package name, and for
>>> that purpose it would be nice if I could make the shell prompt indicate
>>> for what package this environment was created.  I guess “t” as a value
>>> for “GUIX_ENVIRONMENT” will have to do then.
>>
>> As the variable is mostly meant for human-readable display, I think
>> setting it to "guix guile emacs" if those were the packages given, or
>> "mypackage.scm" if that was the file given, is strictly an improvement
>> over "t".
>
> What about --ad-hoc?
>
> People would start to have expectations about what this variable
> contains, and it seems difficult to guarantee that we can always give it
> a meaningful value.

My solution just dumps all the arguments in there, let people parse
them however they like. Makes sense to me and people are free to use
it or not. I say don't over-problematize the issue.

Thanks for mentioning --ad-hoc. The first time I heard about guix
environment, I thought that something like that ought to exist. And
apparently it does! First rule of innovation: Someone probably already
did it.