guix-devel

Re: Help with a basic GuixSD installation

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Help with a basic GuixSD installation
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 04:16:00 -0400

> "Claes Wallin (韋嘉誠)" <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> So *that's* what the mysterious (title 'label) means!
>
> It’s not that mysterious:

IMO, 'title' is a very confusing name for that field, because its value
is not the title of anything, but rather determines how the value of the
'device' field will be interpreted.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble thinking of a concise name for that
field that is also descriptive.  'mode' or 'lookup-mode' are the best
ideas I have so far.

However, to go a bit further: it would be great if all 'device' fields
in the OS config used a consistent syntax for specifying devices by
label or uuid.  I prefer to reference my swap partition by label, so I
use "/dev/disk/by-label/…" in 'swap-partitions', but the lack of
symmetry with 'file-system' grates on me.

Here's an idea: the values of device fields could be either strings or
lists of the form:

  (uuid "6f8ab…")
  (label "foo")

Thoughts?