guix-devel

Re: cmake-build-system

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: cmake-build-system
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 00:44:31 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Attached is a patch for the cmake-build-system.  I have encountered a
> couple of applications that failed the validate-runpath phase because
> the RUNPATH was not set properly.
>
> I found that setting BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH=TRUE helped when the
> INSTALL_RPATH was also set to contain all inputs, like this:
>
>   (string-append "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH="
>                  (string-join (map (match-lambda
>                                      ((name . directory)
>                                       (string-append directory "/lib")))
>                                    %build-inputs) ";"))

Ideally we would never have to do this because ld-wrapper is supposed to
take care of that.

This is in powertabeditor, right?  What happens if you build it without
this and with VERBOSE=1 (as a ‘make’ variable) and
GUIX_LD_WRAPPER_DEBUG=1 (environment variable)?  I would like to see
where the -rpath get lost or overwritten.

> The attached patch only adds BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH=TRUE.  I’m not
> sure if this is sufficient, but I think it is actually a requirement.

Unfortunately CMake has complex RPATH handling and it seems to resist
us.  It would be good to see, taking powertabeditor as an example, how
we can achieve better results.  I don’t know whether
BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH=TRUE is necessary, but I think we must first
better understand what’s going on.

Thank you,
Ludo’.