guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: boost: Update to 1.58.0.

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: boost: Update to 1.58.0.
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 01:17:55 +0200

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 06:00:39PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Boost turns out to be an important package.  The fallout from this is
> 412 newly failed builds on mips64el:
>   http://hydra.gnu.org/eval/105333#tabs-now-fail

I do not quite understand this number, it should be 65 according to the
first link. But anyway, it is an important package.

I noticed the problem this morning when looking at hydra, and did a quick
check, by grepping for "-m32". It appears in
boost_1_58_0/tools/build/src/tools/gcc.jam:

rule setup-address-model ( targets * : sources * : properties * )
{
    local model = [ feature.get-values address-model : $(properties) ] ;
    if $(model)
    {
        local option ;
        local os = [ feature.get-values target-os : $(properties) ] ;
        if $(os) = aix

        else if $(os) = hpux
        else
        {
            local arch = [ feature.get-values architecture : $(properties) ] ;
            if $(arch) != arm
            {
                if $(model) = 32
                {
                    option = -m32 ;
                }
                else if $(model) = 64
                {
                    option = -m64 ;
                }
            }
            # For darwin, the model can be 32_64. darwin.jam will handle that
            # on its own.
        }
        OPTIONS on $(targets) += $(option) ;
    }
}

So it might be enough to exclude mips (or something starting with "mips")
at the same time as arm.

On the other hand, I just checked that the same expressions were already
there in 1.57, so this cannot be the problem.

And on yet another hand, I made a recursive diff of boost 1.57 and 1.58
and grepped for '\-m32', without success. So the change must be more subtle.

The build log for 1.58 contains the following:
starting phase `build'
Performing configuration checks

    - 32-bit                   : yes
    - arm                      : no
    - mips1                    : no
    - power                    : no
    - sparc                    : no
    - x86                      : no
    - combined                 : no

Building the Boost C++ Libraries.

    - has_icu builds           : no
warning: Graph library does not contain MPI-based parallel components.
note: to enable them, add "using mpi ;" to your user-config.jam
    - zlib                     : no
    - iconv (libc)             : no
    - iconv (separate)         : no
    - icu                      : no
    - icu (lib64)              : no
- Boost.Locale needs either iconv or ICU library to be built.
- Boost.Locale needs either iconv or ICU library to be built.
- Boost.Locale needs either iconv or ICU library to be built.
- Boost.Locale needs either iconv or ICU library to be built.
- Boost.Locale needs either iconv or ICU library to be built.
- Boost.Locale needs either iconv or ICU library to be built.
    - x86                      : no
    - arm                      : no
    - mips1                    : no
    - power                    : no
    - sparc                    : no
    - lockfree boost::atomic_flag : no
    - gcc visibility           : no
    - long double support      : no

For the last (working) build of boost 1.57, the corresponding passage was:
starting phase `build'

Building the Boost C++ Libraries.

Performing configuration checks

    - has_icu builds           : no
warning: Graph library does not contain MPI-based parallel components.
note: to enable them, add "using mpi ;" to your user-config.jam
    - zlib                     : yes
    - iconv (libc)             : yes
    - icu                      : no
    - icu (lib64)              : no
    - x86                      : no
    - arm                      : no
    - mips1                    : no
    - power                    : no
    - sparc                    : no
    - lockfree boost::atomic_flag : yes
    - gcc visibility           : yes
    - long double support      : yes

The new line "32-bit: yes" looks suspicious. Strangely enough, it was
already present in boost 1.57 for i686, and similar lines ("32-bit: no
64-bit: yes") for x86_64. So I think that the logic for checking for
32 bits changed.

When I try to build by hand (with the toolchain from debian jessie, not guix)
on my mips machine, the first few lines are
Performing configuration checks

    - 32-bit                   : yes
    - arm                      : no
    - mips1                    : yes

Building the Boost C++ Libraries.

This is already different; on hydra, the mips architecture is apparently
not recognised. But I also get the additional "-m32" flag and the subsequent
build failure.

I tried to replace in the above file gcc.jam the line
            if $(arch) != arm
by
            if $(arch) = x86

The build starts and compiles a few files without problem.

I need to stop now, but can make more thorough tests tomorrow, unless
you feel like giving the attached patch a try on mips and x86, which
could be helpful: The last time I updated my guix on mips was before the
core-updates merge, so it may be a long while until I catch up. If you
wish, you may also revert the boost upgrade for the time being.

Andreas