guix-devel

Re: Call for testing : guix-tox, a version of tox that uses "guix enviro

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: Call for testing : guix-tox, a version of tox that uses "guix environment".
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:24:52 +0200

On 2015-07-10 03:38, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
Cyril Roelandt writes:

Hey!

Those of who you write Python code probably know tox[1], a tool used to
manage tests/builds for Python. It uses virtualenv[2], which allows
developers to create "isolated" environments and install packages
without polluting their systems.

I hacked tox to replace virtualenv with "guix environment". The code is
available at https://git.framasoft.org/Steap/guix-tox , in the
"guix-tox" branch (the master branch is just a mirror of tox). Note that
I will probably use "git push -f" on this branch :) I explained the
details in README.rst.

If there are Python developers on this list, I would love to know what
they think about this.

This is great! I'll have a look at it this week end.

I intend to propose a 20 minute talk about
guix-tox at the next PyConFR.

Nice!

This is great!  I've also been very interested in "guix environment" as
a universal virtualenv.  Replacing tox is an excellent example/usage!

I wondering whether it is possible to use the same recipe for `guix environment` and `guix container`. The idea behind that is that one can use environment for dev and container for deployment.