guix-devel

Test suite failures

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Test suite failures
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 18:45:46 +0200

(Stripping the list of recipients.)

"Cook, Malcolm" <address@hidden> skribis:

> In that thread, you suggested "What about installing Guix in /gnu/bin (say)
> and sharing it over NFS?".  Is there a way to `./bootstrap ./configure `
> this?  Something like -- exec_prefix=/gnu --localstatedir=/gnu/var?

Yes, --exec-prefix=/gnu --localstatedir=/gnu/var (note “--exec-prefix”
with a hyphen.)

> Also, you discussed need for setting NIX_STATE_DIR.  This should not be
> needed if guix was already installed with configuration of
> --localstatedir=/guix/var   (with /guix being nfs mounted), right?

Right.

> Ricardo also wrote "For ‘guix package’ to work,
> /gnu/var/guix/profiles/per-user must be shared read-write (over NFS) with
> correct UID mapping." - I really don't understand this and tried to elicit
> feedback in
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-07/msg00216.html -   Can
> anyone give me clarification on this.  I though the guix daemon is going to
> manage these profiles.

‘guix package’ makes remote procedure calls (RPCs) to the daemon and the
daemon does most things on its behalf.

However, there’s one thing that ‘guix package’ does directly by itself:
updating the profile symlinks, ~/.guix-profile and its target, which is
in $localstatedir.

For that reason, ‘guix package’ must have write access to
$localstatedir.

Does that clarify things?

> Testsuite summary for GNU Guix 0.8.3
> # TOTAL: 42
> # PASS:  32
> # SKIP:  0
> # XFAIL: 0
> # FAIL:  10
> # XPASS: 0
> # ERROR: 0

[...]

> FAIL: tests/cpio.scm

What does ‘cpio --version’ returns?  Could you email me (privately) the
file ‘t.cpio’ made with these commands:

  cd /path/to/guix
  ln -s chbouib /tmp/somelink
  (for i in  / $PWD /tmp/somelink $PWD/guix.scm \
       $PWD/guix/build/syscalls.scm $PWD/guix/packages.scm ; \
       do echo $i ; done ) | \
       cpio -o -O t.cpio -H newc

> FAIL: tests/builders.scm
> FAIL: tests/derivations.scm

These two show errors like:

output path
`/home/mec/project/sce/guix/test-tmp/store/2l1h7am3q3c6sd4z5425mp3kjady6nla-hello-2.8.tar.gz
 should be a non-executable regular file

Which makes it sound like files are automatically made executable on
this file system.

What does ‘umask’ return?

What about ‘mount | grep /home’?

> FAIL: tests/packages.scm

Ditto.

> PASS: tests/snix.scm
> PASS: tests/hackage.scm
> PASS: tests/elpa.scm
> FAIL: tests/store.scm

This one shows this:

;;; (c #<condition &nix-protocol-error [message: "path
`/home/mec/project/sce/guix/test-tmp/stor?/vlryjv621i7xj4sr8ajzl9k9w5bmkv5c-text'
 is not in the Nix store" status: 1] 24a61e0>)
tests/store.scm:560: FAIL import corrupt path

;;; (verify1 #t)

;;; (verify2 #f)

;;; (verify3 #t)
tests/store.scm:620: FAIL verify-store + check-contents

This particular test is not designed to work with long $top_builddir
like this (the test corrupts an archive, but in this case the corruption
occurs in the middle of the file name, which confuses the test logic.)
I’ll see how to fix it.

> FAIL: tests/nar.scm

tests/nar.scm:172: FAIL write-file puts file in C locale collation order

> FAIL: tests/union.scm

“Non-executable” error as before.

> PASS: tests/profiles.scm
> FAIL: tests/syscalls.scm

Harmless clone/setns/pivot-root test failures probably due to the fact
that the host kernel is too old.  Can you confirm that this is fixed in
‘master’ (commit b62a3eb)?  Simply run:

  make check TESTS=tests/syscalls.scm

> FAIL: tests/guix-package-net.sh

“Non-executable” error again.