guix-devel

Re: Viewing the Guix manual in Emacs under Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Viewing the Guix manual in Emacs under Guix
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 09:40:56 +0200

Hello,

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have just set up a virtual machine for test-driving Guix as a
> software development and deployment tool in scientific computing. I
> found the Guix SD to be a bit too minimal for my needs, so I started
> from a minimal Debian 8 system and added the Guix package manager. I
> haven't done anything else but installing software until now, but so
> far it looks very good!

Thanks for your kind words, and welcome!

> So is there a Guix-y way to add info files from packages to Emacs'
> info directory?

When software is installed in a profile, Guix automatically updates the
‘dir’ file in that profile.

Then you really have to set INFOPATH accordingly, because otherwise
there’s no way Emacs (or even the standalone reader, I would expect)
could find them.  On GuixSD, INFOPATH is set to
$HOME/.guix-profile/share/info:/run/current-system/profile/share/info.

If you do so, C-h i will open ~/.guix-profile/share/info/dir and you’ll
be happy.  ;-)

Note that depending on how you installed Guix itself, its manual is
elsewhere.  That location must also be added to INFOPATH.

HTH!

Ludo’.