guix-devel

Re: updating list of substitutes

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: updating list of substitutes
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:11:40 +0200

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 07:03:51PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Having said that, I’m all for fewer network accesses.  When we have a
> new front-end with more disk space, we can hopefully have it retain
> build products for longer, and thus increase the TTL.

I just checked the substitute cache in /var/guix/substitute/cache and
these files are small (3K only!). So, all that pain to fetch a 3K file
:). I thought it was network related, but it is generating this cache
file that is expensive.

So, yes, a fast server may help greatly. And are you sure the
server is able to serve concurrent requests? Maybe the SQL database
is blocking somehow?

> In the meantime, anyone can run ‘guix publish’ and pass the URL via
> ‘--substitute-urls’.

:)

Pj.