guix-devel

Re: failing packages

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: failing packages
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 22:04:34 +0200

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 12:52:53PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
>> Anything bioinformatics is not really used on non Intel architectures.
>> It may change later but, yes, defaulting to x86_64 is the quick option
>> for failing packages. I prefer we change them that way.
>
> How about ngs-sdk, which fails on armhf with the slightly surprising error
> message:
> Configuring NGS-SDK package
> checking system type... Linux
> checking machine architecture... armv7l
> configure: error: unsupported architecture 'Linux'
> (and similarly on mips).
>
> Is it okay to take out mips and arm from the supported architectures?

NGS-SDK has a custom build system with custom checks.  I don’t know on
what architectures it is supposed to run.  Building it on x86_64 was
quite hard because I had to go around the many invalid assumptions.

It’s a bioinfo library, so I don’t think MIPS (or ARM) is officially
supported, but personally I would like to resist the urge to declare all
bioinfo tools unsupported on non-Intel.  (Unfortunately, I don’t have
time to check if NGS-SDK could be build on other platforms at the
moment.)

~~ Ricardo