guix-devel

Re: Funding the build farm

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Funding the build farm
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 20:38:38 +0100

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 11:53:06AM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
     On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 07:29:55PM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     > So, what can we do?  We could go to another fiscal sponsor for free
     > software projects in the US, either Conservancy or SPI, Inc., but they
     > may redirect us to the FSF because we???re GNU.

     It may still be interesting to also go via the FSF. This would mean bank
     accounts in the euro and the dollar currency spaces, and it might be easier
     for US donors to deduce donations from their taxes.

The FSF does have a EUR bank account.  However, if past experience is anything
to go by, then :

1.  The FSF will have little interest in collecting funds for specific projects.
    They (with a few very special exceptions) only take donations which go into
    central FSF funds to be dispersed as they think fit.

  AND

2.  The Conservancy (which normally DOES do directed funding) refuses to do so
for
    GNU projects, for fear of offending the FSF.

This is a crazy situation, but then they are American ....

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3