guix-devel

Re: On being welcoming

From: Mike Mohr
Subject: Re: On being welcoming
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:21:23 -0800

(Replies inline.)

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Torbjörn Granlund <address@hidden> wrote:
[To gmp-discuss readers: This started at gmp-bugs, first as a couple of
reports about assumed GMP bugs, then with the subject used here.]

  I think it is crucially important that you as a community recognize that
  this behavior is not acceptable.  There’s nothing personal in doing
  that; it’s the behavior that we should condemn, not the person.

Let's not exaggerate; sending sloppy bug reports might be considered as
disrespectful, but I wouldn't go so far as calling "this behavior"
"unacceptable".  We're making a mistake if we assume malice when we read
something we do not like.

To an outsider, who is perhaps unfamiliar with common software development practices, sloppy bug reports are easy mistakes to make.  I doubt that the reporter had any ill intent.

Mike Mohr <address@hidden> writes:

  I have seen many examples of this type of conduct from him, both
  towards myself as well as others.  I am a software engineer who
  works in Silicon Valley, and I cannot imagine working with someone
  who is frequently abrasive and disparaging.  Such an individual
  would not last very long on my team.

We're all humans and I shall not exaggerate my critisism of sloppy bug
reports, and I shall not sink to making an ad hominem response.

[I'm going back to doing productive work now. I will not respond further
to this thread, but I respect that others might want to continue, and I
will read the contributions.  Please use gmp-discuss, the gmp-bugs list
is for bug reports.]

Torbjörn, I sincerely apologize if my initial response was interpreted as an ad hominem attack.  It was certainly not intended as such.  I actually spent a good amount of time weighing whether I should respond at all, followed by writing and rewriting several parts of the response.  The initial paragraph, where I mention how valuable your contributions are to the GMP project, is missing from your inline response.  The second paragraph seems harsher than I intended when read out of context.

Your response to the original bug report was accurate; there was insufficient information in it.  I am very aware of how frustrating incomplete bug reports can be, especially when working on a project for free in your spare time.  My only intent was to share constructive criticism regarding how you responded to the reporter.

--
Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622