guix-devel

Re: substitutes mirror of 0.9.0 packages

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: substitutes mirror of 0.9.0 packages
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 22:51:34 +0100

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:25:02AM +0100, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> this service might go away anytime. But I setup a substitute server
>> that is reachable at
>>
>> http://fps.io:9999
>
> This thing is fast! It takes less than 1 second to update the list of
> substitutes.

Indeed this should be quite responsive (definitely more than Hydra ;-)),
but note that currently ‘guix publish’ does not compress the archives it
sends.

A workaround would be to run it behind nginx and have nginx compress
stuff on the fly at the HTTP level.

Better solution will be to add zlib bindings possibly based on
https://github.com/davexunit/guile-zlib and to use them in ‘guix
publish’.

Ludo’.