guix-devel

Re: Guix website

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: Guix website
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 11:35:19 -0500

On 2016-01-01 10:17, address@hidden wrote:
Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 12:42:44PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
After the last exchange on help-guix, I think you are right. We really
need to do more to explain what Guix can do.

Hackability and dependability only go together because of the
architecture of the system. As for liberating, I think of the ideas of
negative and positive liberty. Positive liberty in this case ==
hackability.

Some of the video-recorded presentations have been a very nice
introduction. Perhaps we could embed one on the home-page. If we do
that, I could help transcribe it, with the slides embedded, to increase
accessibility.

I thought about this too. I wanted something like:

- /guix/media/: list video and audio recordings from presentations.
- /guix/media/ITEM/: show the ITEM with transcription.

Transcriptions are a huge job though. But I'm sure Guix will gain contributors that will help with things like these in the future.

How about creating two websites. One for hackers, one for users?

I don’t think this is a good idea. But maybe we could list use cases on
the front page, with links to tutorial-style info?

For instance, “set up a development environment” would link to something
that explains how to use ‘guix environment’ in a development context;
“deploy an OS” would link to ‘guix system’, etc.

I like that idea.

Then we’d need input from Felipe or some other web design expert as to
how to integrate it.

I wish I could help, but I can't right now. All I can do is take note of this and hopefully come back later with some design proposals :)

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/