guix-devel

Re: Version numbers for VCS snapshots

From: Eric Bavier
Subject: Re: Version numbers for VCS snapshots
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 16:08:24 -0600

On 2016-01-21 15:25, address@hidden wrote:
Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> writes:

On 12/01/16 19:26, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

So, a Git snapshot’s version number could be:

   2.0.11-3.deadbeef
     ^    ^    ^
     |    |    `— upstream commit ID
     |    |
     |    `—— 3rd Guix package revision

   latest upstream version

The next snapshot would be:

   2.0.11-4.cafeefac

WDYT?
I can't see anything wrong with this myself. Is this accepted policy now?

I think this is a good policy to follow.  So far we didn’t always use
“-” to separate the upstream version from the revision + commit ID (or
did only I do this wrong?).  Some packages use “.”, which is what
prompted me to ask for clarification.

If there are no objections, I’ll commit the attached patch, which will
make it Official Policy.

Thoughts?

My only issue with the attached patch is that the commit identifier in the example is not 7 digits (characters?) as recommended.

--
`~Eric