guix-devel

Re: Package transformations

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Package transformations
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:06:10 +0200

On Mon, 01 Feb 2016 10:18:01 +0100
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I’ve pushed my “train hacks”, which are a continuation of refactoring
> work I had done in December (ca. 64ec0e2):
>
>   • ‘guix build’ has a new ‘--with-input’ option to rewrite the
>     dependency graph so you can run:
>
>       guix build guix --with-input=guile=guile-next
>
>     and guess what it does.  :-)
>
>     However, it only works for explicit inputs.
>
>   • ‘guix package’ supports ‘--with-source’ and ‘--with-input’, with the
>     caveat that such transformations are forgotten upon upgrades.
>
>   • There’s a fairly generic package transformation framework in (guix
>     scripts build).
>
>   • The documentation of command-line build options is a bit improved,
>     with subsections for each category of options.
>
> Feedback welcome!
>
> Ludo’.

I looked over the commit but not deeply enough yet, would it be possible to
use some of the logic in this to fix the package-with-python2 issue?

what about extending guix package so you could do `guix package -i $(guix
build foo --with-input=bar=baz) --named=foo-baz`, an on-the-fly custom
package?

In terms of figuring out how to make it more lasting, it would need to be
expanded if someone wanted to add/remove an input in their GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH
and have it propagate through the packages without having to make a custom
version of each one. Or to use as a substitute like when libpng had its CVE.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר