guix-devel

Re: GSoC ideas

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: GSoC ideas
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 14:17:08 -0800

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Maybe we should have a place to collect ideas?
>
> What about creating a page at <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix>?

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2016

Here you go!

Just commenting on one comment:

>>  - g-expressions which generate packages of the Guix package manager for
>>    .deb and .rpm based distros, and work to get those upstream in Debian
>>    and Fedora
>
> That would be useful, and CheckInstall may be good enough for that.  I
> don’t think it’s “enough” for GSoC, though.  WDYT?

If the student was really to package Guix for many distributions, it
might be enough.  Especially if that student was to explore packaging
with upstream.  Anyway, the payout could be *huge*.

If they finish early, I'm sure we could find other things for them to
do?  :)

 - Chris