guix-devel

Re: Guix on Mobile (Was: Interest check: U-Boot bootloader support)

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Guix on Mobile (Was: Interest check: U-Boot bootloader support)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 21:17:56 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 06:19:27 +1100
Jookia <address@hidden> wrote:

> Basically the bootloader would just be Linux to do some hardware init (touch
> screen, etc)

Actually, on ARM you usually have to do basic hardware init before Linux runs.
Linux doesn't do it all. Often, booting Linux without U-Boot doesn't work.

On linux-sunxi, U-Boot initializes some clocks, memory, important regulators,
USB, MMC and the framebuffer (I'm sure I forgot some).

U-Boot started out as just a tiny copy of Linux, but it has diverged a bit
since.

There are also weird things like you aren't allowed to turn stuff you need
later off (in, say, U-Boot), because once it's off, you can't turn it on again
(because it's off, duh) without rebooting. So kexeced Linux can find itself in
a world of hurt.

(There's a special data-passing mechanism between U-Boot and Linux in order to
mitigate that problem - but does it work between Linux and kexec-Linux?)

> systems with GRUB and U-Boot as Linux tends to initialize hardware better than
> them (neither U-Boot nor Libreboot like either of the EDID values of my
> screen!)
> and would probably allow faster bootup given you're not initializing the
> hardware twice.

I also have a screen with wrong EDID. I have a DVI<->HDMI adapter by ATI which
contains an EDID chip in order to fake the data in order to get it to work. How
insane is that?

That said, on the general interest: guix is already slooow on a fairly modern
X200. If that ran on an armv7, it would probably be much slower. Not fun.

But might be worth a try. Did someone try the non-GuixSD armv7 thing? Is the
speed acceptable?