guix-devel

Re: libwnck

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: libwnck
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 16:17:41 +0100

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 04:06:18PM +0100, Fabian Harfert wrote:
> the name libwnck-1 is right. The library files have this name and the
> pkg-config file refers to that. This is because it uses Gtk+ 2.x and
> has a different API than libwnck-3. I don't know why they chose this
> versioning, but it's their decision.

Well, these are the sonames, which need not be related to the program version.
A package with a given version may ship arbitrary libraries with arbitrary
sonames. For instance, gmp-6.1 and gmp-6.0 ship libgmp.so.10 and
libgmpxx.so.4.

Nevertheless, we still call all variables gmp and gmp-6.0, respectively.

So here we should also use libwnck-2. Notice that the variable name is
something that humans edit, whereas we need not care about sonames that
are handled by some magic.

Andreas