guix-devel

Re: Mirror of hydra.gnu.org

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: Mirror of hydra.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 23:36:08 +0100

> Evening!
>
> There’s now a mirror of the substitutes from hydra.gnu.org available at
> <http://mirror.guixsd.org> (basically running nginx as a caching proxy.)
> To use it, simply pass:
>
>   --substitute-urls=http://mirror.guixsd.org
>
> This is strictly a mirror so no new signing key needs to be authorized.
>
> This is somewhat experimental, but hopefully it will provide better
> bandwidth than our poor hydra.gnu.org (and until we receive the
> replacement machine.)  Keep in mind that this is a cache: on a cache
> miss, performance will be just as bad as with hydra.gnu.org, no wonder.
>
> If this works sufficiently well, I propose to change
> ‘%default-substitute-urls’ to:
>
>   '("http://mirror.guixsd.org"; "http://hydra.gnu.org";)
>
> Let us know how well it works for you!
>
> Ludo’.

So far I had two package installations today, one was ghc-pandoc,
which worked okay with the caching mirror but I wasn't able to
complete it using the caching mirror (2 last packages had issues
I can't recall, after some repeated attempts I used hydra.gnu.org
again), the other one worked good enough.

So, thanks for the person or organization providing the mirror!
As it also points to hydra.gnunet.org I guess it's something
GNUnet e.V. related in running the mirror?

--
ng
irc://loupsycedyglgamf.onion:67/~NiAsterisk