guix-devel

Re: Texlive-texmf

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Texlive-texmf
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 11:08:44 +0100

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 10:34:23AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> We don’t want people to have to do that, do we?  :-)
> Personally, I don’t want to have to think beyond “guix package -i
> texlive”.

It is only about choice, you can always just install texlive if you are
ready to download gigabytes of data!

Personally, I like to just download texlive-bin and to build texlive locally
from a tarball stored locally on my hard disk, to avoid downloading all the
data. This was the original reason (plus easier debugging) that I kept the
internal packages -bin and -texmf public; I think it was a mistake, since it
seems to lead to a lot of confusion.

So I will hide both the internal packages one of these days.

Users are advised to not install either texlive-bin or texlive-texmf into
their profile; they will not work correctly together. Either install texlive
to get the full experience, or try out texlive-minimal (which ships neither
the documentation nor the fonts except for Computer Modern, and also breaks
some of the more exotic tex frontends).

Andreas