guix-devel

Re: GSoC ideas

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GSoC ideas
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 11:09:28 +0100

Hi!

I realize I hadn’t responded to Manolis.  Another +1 from me!

Some random comments:

Manolis Ragkousis <address@hidden> skribis:

> Before May:
>
> 1) Merge wip-hurd branch.
> 2) Make the daemon handle chroot builds on the Hurd.
> Note here that on the Hurd, one does not need to be root to achieve
> isolation, so I should change the daemon to use this capability.

I think an ideal situation would be if libc provides ‘mount’ and
‘umount’, with MS_BIND implemented in terms of firmlinks.

I remember Roland was not thrilled with the idea of adding ‘mount’ and
‘umount’, but it would clearly help porting.  I don’t know if this task
should be part of the GSoC project though, and you may need guidance
from the Hurd folks.  What do people think?

> 3) Instead of using the Linux syscall guile wrappers, I should modify
> Guix to use a more Hurdish way (i.e settrans) so later on we can handle
> translators and bootstrap a GNU/Hurd system.

Possibly, depending on whether libc provides ‘mount’ and ‘umount’, which
would make things simpler.

> End of GSoC:
> Have a working GuixSD with Hurd as the kernel.

\o/

Cheers,
Ludo’.