guix-devel

Re: GNOME!

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: GNOME!
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 21:38:54 +0100

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> FWIW everything now works for me, which is a first in a year :)
>
> \o/
>
> I wanted to give it a try in a VM, hence these commits:
>
>   6cbc8d5 * gnu: gnome: Disable hardware acceleration check via
> 'gnome.desktop'.
>   c510cbb * services: xorg: Accept session commands with arguments.
>   a0d7baa * gnu: gnome-session: Make sure 'gsettings' is found.
>
> Now it works well in QEMU.
>
> There are details to smooth out, such as having the right fonts
> installed by default.  When I logged in, I got not-so-nice fonts in the
> top-level bar, including squares here and there:

For me it also introduced a new desktop environment affected by
bug#22985, all in all it awesome to have GNOME now, thanks!

> Ideas?
>
> There’s also the problem of the default background, as you pointed out
> before, but maybe that’s more “involved.”

Maybe we could package a gnome-artworks to include a broader
choice of backgrounds, and one like gnome-styles or whatever to
include other stylistic things.

--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org