guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Draft of my proposition

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Draft of my proposition
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 08:29:24 +1100

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 09:33:25PM +0100, Rémi Birot-Delrue wrote:
> GNUnet and IPFS seem to share some concepts (immutability, peer
> identity/namespace) but IPFS is less mature: for instance, there’s a
> priori no way to search a file. You might hit the same difficulties I’ve
> encountred: unstable API, bugs, inaccurate or inexisting
> documentation. Anyway, IPFS’s hyperlinked nature could be great to
> handle multiple versions of a package.

Another issue with IPFS is that it's not anonymous. I've spent a few times
trying to get it to work with Tor but it absolutely hates proxies, and putting
strain on the Tor network like that is generally a bad idea. With such a system
like this, people, organizations or companies using Guix could have their Guix
version (thus all of the packages, patches, etc) found by analyzing a few
substitutes being fetched over the network, much worse than traditional distros.

> Work on this matter can only enrich our/my comprehension of the subject,
> please feel free to contact me for any question :)
> --
> Rémi

Jookia.