guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Draft of my proposition

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Draft of my proposition
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 14:24:03 +0100

Salut Vincent,

<address@hidden> skribis:

> 23. Mar 2016 02:17 by address@hidden:

[...]

>> This is a very compelling idea!  Thank you for sharing it; IPFS is new
>> to me, and it looks intriguing.  I understand that in the past, Rémi
>> Birot-Delrue did some work on a similar project to enable publication of
>> packages over GNUnet:
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-05/msg00022.html
>>
>> Although progress was made, I don't think the project to publish
>> packages over GNUnet was fully completed.  This seems to be the last
>> email thread from Rémi:
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00455.html
>>
>> Have you considered picking up where Rémi left off?  Even if you choose
>> not to use GNUnet instead of IPFS, perhaps Rémi's prior work can help
>> you as you work on your project.
>

> I think IPFS simpler and more stable API is a must.

I’m not completely sure and, as Jookia pointed out, the two projects
share different goals, with GNUnet allowing for anonymous
communications.

> But I will definitely be looking into reusing parts of his code,
> either for IPFS or making it usable for both. I could be an
> interesting stretch goal.

I don’t think there’d be much code to reuse.

However, past design discussions should probably be taken into account,
because some of the questions we had about how to store things, or how
to reuse the code and protocols of the existing ‘guix publish’ and ‘guix
substitute’ tools is definitely needed.  WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.