guix-devel

Patches to add s3cmd and python-magic

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Patches to add s3cmd and python-magic
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 20:29:51 -0700

Hi,

I've packaged python-magic and s3cmd.  The former provides Python
bindings for libmagic.  It's an alternative to python-file, which is an
existing package that also provides Python bindings for libmagic.  The
latter is a command-line tool for Amazon S3 and CloudFront, which
expects python-magic (not python-file) to be available.

Please refer to the attached patches for details.  Guix lint says the
following about python-magic: "the source file name should contain the
package name".  However, I think maybe that's a bug in guix lint, since
the URI clearly contains the name "python-magic".

Just to be safe, I've tested python2-magic and python-magic, and
confirmed that module "magic" was importable from Python 2 (for the
former case) and Python 3 (for the latter case).  I've also confirmed
that python2-s3cmd installs fine and that I can use it for rudimentary
tasks, like uploading and downloading to/from S3.

I wasn't sure about a few things, so if you have feedback, I would love
to hear it:

* Do I need to provide setuptools as a native input, or will it be
  pulled in automatically?

* Does setuptools really need to be a native input, or can it be a
  regular input?  I understand that native inputs are important for
  cross-compiling, but does this apply to a language like Python which
  compiles to bytecode for a virtual machine?

* In the package definition for python2-s3cmd, should python2-magic be a
  propagated input instead of a regular input?  It seems to work as a
  normal input, so I think the answer is "no", but I understand that
  sometimes this matters for python packages.

Thank you,

--
Chris