guix-devel

Re: MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 19:25:22 +1100

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 09:30:40AM +0200, Jean Louis wrote:
> I cannot understand the rationalization and justifications based on the
> single fact how WINE/MAME or other similar emulators are free software
> by themselves, and that is the only reason to include them, but let us
> avoid all the reality about that, that those platforms are being
> developed for the major purpose of running non-free software. It does
> not play alone. It is hypocrisy.

I think this might be my last email since they don't seem to be forming any kind
of discussion, so I'll leave this question: Should we ship Linux-libre with
virtualization support? From what I know there's only a handful of systems out
there that can run it without proprietary blobs in its BIOS updates. What about
virtualization with PCI passthrough support, primarily used for video games?

> Jean Louis

Jookia.