guix-devel

Re: Proposal: Prefix language-name for language library packages

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Proposal: Prefix language-name for language library packages
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 22:12:14 +0200

On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 02:45:48AM +0000, alírio eyng wrote:
> i suggested renaming:
> readline, libunistring, htslib, c-ares, json-c, icu4c, ...
> to:
> c-readline, c-unistring, c-hts, c-ares, c-json, c-icu, ...
> no replies, is that implicit agreement?

I did not follow the discussion in all its details, but thought this part
was an obvious joke to illustrate the limits of the suggestion...
C being the natural GNU language and C++ its extension, I see no reason
to emphasise that a package is written in C.

Part of why we added a language prefix (for perl, I think, or maybe python
came first?) was also that the libraries had rather generic names. There
is perl-error, perl-html-form, perl-json and so on (not to speak of
perl-xyz containing bindings to some C library called xyz); we feared there
would be many collisions with existing C libraries and tools or further
interpreted languages.

Andreas