guix-devel

Re: feedback as solicited by Guix manual (Section 7.1.5)

From: Ethan Stefan Day
Subject: Re: feedback as solicited by Guix manual (Section 7.1.5)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 17:13:06 -0400

On 05/31/2016 02:35 PM, Matthew Jordan wrote:

> I just looked ouver the installation part of the manual.
>
>> What parts do you think should be added to our manual? A number of these
>> steps are already covered in section 7.1 System Installation.
>
> That was mostly a copy paste from my notes.  But what I wouldn't mind
> seeing in the manual is as follows;
>
> 1. Section 7.1.4.2 Networking;
>
> mentions using ifconfig, correct me if I"m wrong but isn't ifconfig
> considered deprecated?
>
> In which case iproute2 commands could be used;
>
> $ ip link show
> $ ip link set ens3 up
>
> 2. Section 7.1.4.3 Disk Partitioning
>
> It would be nice to indicate that you may need additional swap space to
> build the various packages that come with the install.  Also sufficient
> space under /tmp is needed. In my case I had to bind mount the my tmp
> partition from the install target, and turn on the swap to achieve a
> successful install. I used these commands to achieve that.
>
> $ mount --bind /mnt/tmp /tmp
> $ swapon /dev/sda3
>
>> Personally, I don't like putting instructions on how to use 3rd party
>> software in manuals such as ours (or the Gentoo or Arch manuals) unless
>> the information is very specific to how we use the software.
>>
>> In my opinion, if there is some deficiency with the 3rd party programs'
>> documentation, that documentation should be improved.
>>
>> Otherwise, knowledge is fragmented into a variety of places where it
>> probably won't be updated as the 3rd party software changes. Also, each
>> system's manual or wiki will invariably contain some info that is
>> specific to that system but not declared as such. And the new, external
>> documentation will probably not be reviewed by the upstream maintainers
>> for correctness, spreading bad advice across the internet.  Finally, the
>> upstream manual will *still* not be improved.
>>
>> On the other hand, we should strive to make our system as easy to
>> install as possible. So, specific advice is most welcome! :)
>
> While these are valid points, and I have to say I agree with them. Even
> Gentoo and Arch (which are among some of the more challenging distros),
> do provide some example/recipe to assist with partitioning.  I'm not
> saying we quote someone's manual, but someone might find it useful.
>
> We could always indicate that one should refer to upstream manual for
> the latest info, and still provide some steps based on a partitioning
> plan. I think this would be very helpful to those who may not be fully
> verse in partitioning.  My first time using Gentoo was pretty decent
> because of the documentation provided. Here is the appropriate snippet
> [...]

bios_grub partition and toggle the boot flag on another.

> Of course feel free free to accept/reject these ideas, as they are just
> suggestions based on my state understanding when I first discovered Guix &
> GuixSD.  I like to think of Guix as the next evolution of Linux from
> Arch Linux or Gentoo Linux ^_^.
>
> Respectfully,

Parted is quite user-friendly.  The problem, for me at least, was not so
much use of the tools, but rather background knowledge about disk
partitioning in general.  The information I can find via web searching
is scattered.  The ideal solution would be to link to the GNU Storage
Guide, like the Parted manual does.  Unfortunately, that document does
not seem to exist, and I am not qualified to write it.  Other
distributions seem to get around this problem by providing an automated
partitioning tool and/or providing examples that work on a wide class of
machines.  Attached is a context diff for guix.texi in the git
repository that expands the partitioning example in a way that I suspect
will work on most modern (and perhaps higher-end) machines.

-Ethan Day