guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] Integrating npm into the Guix ecosystem

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Integrating npm into the Guix ecosystem
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 15:14:09 +0200

Hello!

Jelle Licht <address@hidden> skribis:

> It has been some time since my last mail to this list, so I wanted to
> share what I have been up to. For the people who might want to watch
> along after today, I will be posting the changes that should not break
> everything immediately to [1].

Glad to see there’s already a build system and an importer!

I think it’s indeed a good idea to have them in master early.  That will
hopefully allow others to give it a try and provide feedback.

As a pre-review ;-), could be make sure you add a bunch of tests for the
importer (see tests/{cran,cpan,elpa,gem,hackage}.scm for examples), and
mention ‘node-build-system’ under “Build Systems” in doc/guix.texi?

> The current importer functions as expected for the "90%" of packages
> that I tried. A problem that I ran into that I could not recognize as
> easily in other importers is the fact that the npm community only
> distributes the artifacts that you need to run the npm modules, but not
> to build them. In most trivial cases, there are literally no
> differences, but especially for more complicated packages involving
> transpilation steps, this poses a problem.
>
> As such, the importer can not actually 'know' of the location of the
> source. Right now it uses some limited heuristics to probe GitHub
> repositories for a tarball release, and if these are not found or the
> sources are hosted at non-GH sites, it tries to check out a tag
> according to the npm packaging conventions (SemVer).

Interesting.

> The most important thing that needs to happen right now would be to
> extend the range of packages that are buildable by the build system. A
> combination of working towards having working 'large' packages and test
> frameworks should help me quickly identify problems. This will be my
> main focus for the next week.

Sounds like you’re on the right track.  :-)

I’m not qualified to comment on the specific npm issues.  I think you
may be interested in the recursive importer that Ricardo recently
submitted for CRAN, because recursive imports probably makes a lot of
sense for a report as big as npm (as in ‘guix import npm -r jquery’).

Thanks for the update!

Ludo’.