guix-devel

DAT

From: Catonano
Subject: DAT
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 15:23:00 +0200

well, this is more about reproducible research and Guix than about DAT specifically.

The current thread about pipelines is very interesting, but I feel like there's a missing bit.

The data. The sets of files or the datasets

They are part of a pipeline and they should be versioned too. And sometimes a pipeline produces a dataset. So there could be packages producing packages.

There's this project, DAT, and it seems they are onto something, in this domain.

http://dat-data.com/

Based on how they talk about the issue, I'd say they don't know about Guix. But they do have the same concern about the exact same software running on a dataset in order to produce a comparable result.

It seems to me that Guix has something to offer to the DAT community. They want reproducible builds to use on their versioned bittorrent distributed datasets, so they end up distributing code together with datasets (Gnunet distributed substitues, anyone ?) AND because they don't know about Guix they also end up into containerization.

They even touch the issue of the relationship between developers and users, that I thing Guix and Guile are trying to blur.

But I didn't understand completely what she said about this because English is not my native language.

As for distributing large amounts of data with DAG things and merkle hashes and bittorrent like swarms, there's ipfs doing these things (ipfs aims to distribute triples rather than raw files)  and now DAT too.

I was wondering whether GnuNet has something to say with regard to reproducible research. These ideas about how to distribute research data in a serverless fashion came from the "decentralize the web" arena, so maybe GnuNet might have something to say

But this is not on topic, on the Guix list.

I just thought that you Guix people should be pointed to DAT and the issues it raises and tries to solve.

It seems to me there's some overlapping and the respective communities should be aware of each other.

I hope I didn't bother anyone of you with this message