guix-devel

Re: A plan for upgrading postgres?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: A plan for upgrading postgres?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:48:52 +0200

Hi, Chris!

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> I think to do this, we'll need to keep around the prior version of
> postgres.  pg_upgrade requires it:
>
>   https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/pgupgrade.html
>
> I think the right approach will be to keep around the prior version,
> eg postgresql-9.4, as a first step.  As a second step, it might be nice
> to have a package that's something like "postgres-upgrade-recent" which
> has all the shorthands for pointing at both the prior postgres binary
> and this one, and so hands the user a single script for running the
> upgrade.

According to the description, we must keep a package of the previous
major version so that we can pass it to ‘pg_upgrade -b’.

I agree that it would be convenient to have a ‘postgresql-upgrade’
package that would contain a program roughly doing:

  NEW/bin/pg_upgrade -b OLD/bin -B NEW/bin "$@"

(Disclaimer: I have little experience with PG!)

Ludo’.