guix-devel

Re: Tor Browser

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Tor Browser
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 12:48:54 +0000

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi!
>
> ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> What it does is the following:
>>
>> A shallow checkout of https://git.torproject.org/tor-browser.git
>> which is usually pinned to a tag specified in the gitian build
>> repository of torproject for tor-browser,
>> pull in gentoo specific patchsets for the firefox version,
>> pull in an architecture specific torbrowser from either
>> https://archive.torproject.org/tor-package-archive/${PN}/${TOR_PV}or
>> https://dist.torproject.org/${PN}/${TOR_PV} (arch is x86 or amd64),
>> prepare the source:
>> 1. apply firefox patches
>> 2. revert "change the default firefox profile directory to be tbb-relative"
>> (patch)
>> 3. allow the lightspark and freshplayerplugins for whatever reasons (except
>> them from a blocklist)
>> 4. fix some nss problems
>> 5. set the plugins directory to the global one of gentoo
>> 6. fix sandbox violations
>> etc etc (very similar to firefox at this point and before it)
>> configure:
>> rename install executables and directories
>> disable the update + set the tor-browser version
>> install (build):
>> some orientation around the tor-browser-bunde.git repository
>> some firefox again
>> set a profile
>> install files.
>
> I suppose TB contains a script that does all that, right?  Would it work
> to simply run it?  If it invokes wget/curl, then this needs to be
> replaced, but the rest should be fine.

It's not that easy I'm afraid.
Currently they use a gitian build, as described in this README[0],
which the person maintaining the torbrowser ebuild for Gentoo out
of portage replicates and follows in parts.
It can't be followed completely, as `builders/tor-browser-bundle'
requires a checkout of gitian of the torproject.org

So we have to look at what they do and recreate this build
procedure, there's no individual Makefile, the releases are
created in VMs.

Dependencies are kept up to date here[1].

This[2] is the script connecting/using gitian for gnu-linux releases.

The Makefile just runs the corresponding scripts.

18 Months ago they also started a trac ticket on NixOS as an idea[3]

> It’s unfortunate that there’s no ready-to-build TB tarball, that would
> simplify things for us.

Yes.. But I think icecat suffers from the same problem, only that
icecat tarballs/binaries are built using a bash script applying
all that's needed to the firefox sources again.

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

[0]:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/tree/gitian/README.build