guix-devel

Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 08:35:05 +0300

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 09:56:35PM +0200, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
> Hi,

> > Now is the time to register for the GNU Hackers Meeting!  The more, the
> > merrier!
> >
> >   https://gnunet.org/ghm2016
> >   https://www.gnu.org/ghm/upcoming.html
> >
> > I think we can give a few talks/demos, such as a status update, an
> > overview of Guix, an overview of GuixSD, something about reproducible
> > builds, the foo bar importer, pyrubygonpm packages, Cuirass, Bournish,
> > GNU/Hurd, etc.  Let’s coordinate!  Who’s in?  :-)
>
> After some hesitance, I have decided to propose a 20 min talk for
> Cuirass.
>
> > Maybe we could have a Guix hacking session, or hard-core technical
> > discussions among Guix hackers, if there’s interest.
> >
> > Thoughts?  Suggestions?
>
> I like the idea of a hacking session, however finding a common project
> to work on, seems hard.  It is likely to fall into a one person hacking
> session while the others are trying to figure out the basics without
> going anywhere.
>
> What would interest me most, would be to exchange on things that can be
> difficult to explain on IRC or a mailing list.  What I have in mind are
> things like:
>
> - Guile hacking tips
> - Subsystems code Analysis (build systems, importers, linter, ...)
> - Presentation of tools related to Guix (Autotools, Emacs, Graphviz, QEMU,
> ...)
>
> What do people think?
>
> --
> Mathieu Lirzin

Helping everyone be more efficient with the tools we normally use would
be great. I for one find emacs daunting, but even just getting the hang
of opening it up, using debbugs and some simple tasks without needing to
click on the toolbar on top would be good.

Other things to hack on that I've thought about were EFI/u-boot support
and combining QEMU and guix offload.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר