guix-devel

Services and hardware/kernel requirements

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Services and hardware/kernel requirements
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:38:20 +0200

Hello,

David Craven <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm currently also working on a spice service. I'm thinking it would
> be nice to be able to specify qemu flags in services, then adding
> `(rngd-service)` would include the `-device virtio-rng-pci` and
> `(spice-vdagent-service)` the spice specific flags. I'm not sure yet
> how this would work exactly. Or if a `(hardware-configuration)` would
> be a better which we could at some point pass to the kernel package to
> build a custom kernel with only the required modules.

I don’t think services should be aware of QEMU.

However, maybe we could add a ‘hardware-service-type’, which services
could extend to express hardware requirements.  Somehow, it would
arrange to fail as early as possible (build time or run time) if the
requirements could not be met.

Likewise for kernel features like virtio-rng.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.