guix-devel

Re: Foreign distro GUIX_LOCPATH errors when installing from manual

From: Spencer Baugh
Subject: Re: Foreign distro GUIX_LOCPATH errors when installing from manual
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:26:57 -0400

> I think we should do that only when GUIX_LOCPATH is unset, but yes, this
> is a good idea.
>
> I’m not sure how to implement it exactly; it seems cumbersome to ask
> users to write such a script.  Thoughts?

I think such a script should come with the tarball, and the manual
should direct users to copy it into place instead of making a symlink.

> Maybe the binary tarball should provide a short, readable ‘install.sh’
> script that would do everything the “Binary Installation” section
> describes, including this extra step?

This would be nice. But I would caution against a script eventually
becoming the primary means of installation of Guix on foreign
distros. If that happens, eventually I think the documentation will
become out of date and manual installation will become much harder.

Maybe that section of the documentation could be written in a literate
programming style which can be used to generate the install.sh? That
would be a nice way to keep both the documentation and the install.sh in
sync and up to date with changes.