guix-devel

Re: netcat-openbsd implementations

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: netcat-openbsd implementations
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:19:27 +0200

Hi,

ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:

> Aron Xu writes:

[...]

>> I don't treat this netcat-openbsd a full fork even if it's targeting
>> an older revision at the moment. Also, maintaining patches are very
>> easy using the git-buildpackage[1] tools for Debian packages.
>>
>> [1]https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit
>>

>>> Third option I thought of, could Debian provide a tarball of
>>> the orig-source with the patches applied, so there's no need
>>> to conflict with systems currently pulling one or both of the
>>> currently existing tarball.
>>>

>> I think it is hardly possible to provide another tarball because
>> there's no way of doing that with current Debian infrastructure. But

[...]

> So what do others make of this?
> Ludovic, any follow-up thoughts or actions regarding our thread
> on this?

I think it would be more convenient to have a source repo for
netcat-openbsd rather than the current setup with a set of
debian/*.patch files.

Perhaps alioth.debian.org could host a netcat-openbsd project containing
the GNU/Linux port (with all the patches applied), from which both the
Debian package and the Guix package would be built?

If that’s not an option then yes, you can do as you proposed, ng0.

Ludo’.