guix-devel

Re: guix system: error: service 'ssh-daemon' requires 'networking', whic

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: guix system: error: service 'ssh-daemon' requires 'networking', which is undefined
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 20:04:26 +0200

On 2016-07-15 18:50, address@hidden wrote:
We could improve the error message by showing the location of the
‘ssh-daemon’ Shepherd service definition, though it may be better (but
more difficult) to show the location of the instantiation of the
corresponding service (the ‘(lsh-service)’ line in your config file.)

That would certainly be nice. As a newcomer (points at self), simply
scanning error messages for keywords/file locations can lead nowhere
until you learn to read what Guix is *actually* trying to say.

Thoughts?

The message ‘which is undefined’ itself is still rather cryptic: the
first time I got it, I assumed my git checkout was broken. How about
something closer to ‘which is not provided by any operating-system
services’?

But, like, better.

Kind regards,

T G-R