guix-devel

Re: guix package modif testing

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: guix package modif testing
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:49:22 +0800

Hi,

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 03:19:43PM +0200, Vincent Legoll wrote:
>> It looks like this :
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Building-from-Git
>> is intended for people willing to hack on guix itself, but I want to hack
>> at the package's definitions...
>
> This is all the same, everything is tightly integrated.
>
>> I want to test the pythondialog patch I posted in te other thread...
>> How do you try modifications to packages that are already in the repo ?
>
> Personally I just create another local git branch and make my
> modifications there, in gnu/packages/....scm. In case things work out,
> it is then trivial to create a patch (git commit + git format-patch)
> and to send it to the list (you may even use git send-email, which
> is in a separate output of the git package).

Same for me. Usually, I run "git pull" first to update the repo. Then, I
build using "./boostrap && make -j`nproc`". After that, I changes the
files in guix/gnu/packages/. Next, I test the changes by
"./pre-inst-env guix lint foo" and "./pre-inst-env guix build foo". If
the changes pass the lint and the build, run "git commit" and
"git format-patch HEAD^". Finally, attach the patch and send the email.

Notice all the commands is run with guix/ being the current working
directory. Also, I am learning to use magit, so this is really the old
approach I use.

Hope this help.

> Andreas

Cheers,