guix-devel

Re: [PACKAGE] musl libc

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [PACKAGE] musl libc
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 14:35:22 +0200

Vincent Legoll <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I just built musl and found that it also installs “bin/musl-gcc”, a
>> wrapper of sorts, but it doesn’t work as it depends on a “gcc”
>> executable to be available.
>
> I did not see that as I probably had gcc installed in the profile with
> which i built musl...
>
>> Is this something that needs to work in order for this package to be
>> useful?
>
> Maybe not, but the default / documented way it is to be used is with
> the wrapper, so it is nice to have...
>
> Is this not the same with glibc, but in a more hidden way ?

We usually don’t use the “gcc” package directly in Guix.  Instead we use
“gcc-toolchain”, which also comes with a wrapper around the linker that
ensures that binaries are linked with libraries in the store, ensuring
that things generally just work™.

I think more work would be needed to ensure that packages can actually
successfully be linked with musl, but I’m not at all familiar with this.
I had mixed success with a GCC ARM cross-compiler toolchain linking with
newlib, so I know that it’s not exactly obvious how to do this right,
but I find it hard to understand this.

Have you tried building something that links with the libc provided by
this musl package instead of the GNU libc?  I’m not opposed to adding
the package, but I’d like it to be usable.

~~ Ricardo