guix-devel

Re: octave license is incompatible with openssl

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: octave license is incompatible with openssl
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 05:58:46 -0400

Mike Miller <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 00:28:04 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> We should investigate the reason why it failed without OpenSSL.  I would
>> start by repeating the build attempt without OpenSSL, and looking at the
>> resulting config.log to see what went wrong.
>
> Sounds good to me. Let us know what you find out or if there is anything
> we can do to help.

The problem is that "-lssl -lcrypto" is apparently added to the command
line when linking liboctave.  There are no occurrences of "lssl" in the
failed octave build directory.  However, I *did* discover that
libcurl.la contains:

  dependency_libs=' [...] -lssl -lcrypto -lz'

despite the fact that our 'curl' package was built without OpenSSL.  I
guess this is the root of the problem, and that the bug is in 'curl'.

I'm not sure why this problem does not affect more packages.  Perhaps
most packages in Guix that use 'curl' either don't use libtool or
include OpenSSL as an input.  If they didn't already include OpenSSL, I
guess that maybe people "fixed" the problem by adding OpenSSL as an
input, as was done for Octave.

To be continued...

     Mark