guix-devel

Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.

From: ng0
Subject: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 10:18:35 +0000

At some point I wanted to reply to the "Subject: none" thread Pjotr
opened. It kept growing and growing, and hit the length where I don't
feel like I want to add to it.
After many years I switched to notmuch for emails, because it all just
sucks. And even with notmuch, it just sucks: I apply tags to emails,
sort emails with tags which are relevant, but it doesn't fix email
itself. And that's the biggest problem I see here. Our communication is
based on a patchset of ancient technologies which require figuring out
how to fix their flaws by choosing the best user agent which does more
than just reading and sending email.
In my opinion we need something which provides *optional* email access
or emacs interface if you want that, but in general uses a framework
with sorting and management built in.
Email does the worst job. Email makes me personally angry. If I have to
tell someone to use a different mail user agent because theirs is
"obviously broken", the problem is not with the application. It's with
Email itself. I could go on about email and corporate networks with
statistics, but this is not my intention here.

On QA, this is okay. We need that like every operating system. As long
as we keep a culture of discussion alive and can talk about problems and
manage to respect our own code of conduct and solve problems, we are
doing a good job.

These are my comments on the part of the thread I've read.
But I want this to be an inspiration for some questions and looking for
a solution to them.

Ludovic: You said you tried various alternatives for patches/bugs etc
tracking in the past 3(?) years of Guix. Can you please summarize what
you remember about the applications you tested, positive and negative
results?

All: Please share your experiences, positive and negative, with project
management frameworks. Ideally it covers patches, discussions,
bugtracking and is accessible and usable at least via web browser.

I want us all to gather experiences, feedback, and ideas and see which
compromises we have to make to get to the point where we solved this big
problem. We'll definitely have to make compromises.
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org