guix-devel

Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 23:18:47 +0800

Hi guixers,

Actually, We have GNU Ethical Repository Criteria Evaluations
<https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html>, which was
published recently (about 1 yr ago).

Below is my understanding of the evaluations:

The essence of the criteria
<https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html> is that, web service
is different from software, we (as users) cannot modify the software on
other's server. So, it is not about free or non-free. Rather, it is
about other ethical issues, e.g. privacy, accept users from all
countries...

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:53:49 +0200
> Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> A good alternative could be to use gitlab, which one could host on one's
>> own systems. It is "only" MIT licensed, but at least "open source" - in
>> contrast to github, which is propritary.
>
> I second the gitlab recommendation. I have multiple servers that use
> gitlab and it's very nice. It supports merge requests, continuous
> integration buiulds etc.

Agree, if we were to host it on our own server, then we simply need to
follow the criteria and be done with it. Of course, there are other
alternatives, such as gogs, which is used by `notabug.org'.

Cheers,
Alex