guix-devel

Re: Allow disabling of CONFIG_SHELL in the configure phase

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Allow disabling of CONFIG_SHELL in the configure phase
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:07:29 +0200

Arun Isaac <address@hidden> skribis:

> I am packaging optipng (http://optipng.sourceforge.net/) with the
> gnu-build-system, and its configure script does not like being passed
> CONFIG_SHELL. It fails with the following error:
>
> ./configure: error: unknown option:
> CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/ykzwykkvr2c80rw4l1qh3mvfdkl7jibi-bash-4.3.42/bin/bash
>
> Can we allow disabling of CONFIG_SHELL by passing some keyword argument
> to the configure phase? Right now, the CONFIG_SHELL argument is always
> passed to ./configure, and the only way to get around this is to replace
> the configure phase for the optipng package with a specialized function
> that does not pass CONFIG_SHELL. That seems like too much work, and it
> will be nice if we can just disable CONFIG_SHELL with a keyword argument.

I find that it’s not that much work to replace the ‘configure’ phase,
and it’s not too common (Autoconf-generated ‘configure’ scripts all
honor CONFIG_SHELL.)

We could add a Boolean flag for CONFIG_SHELL, but I bet manually written
‘configure’ scripts may need more than just that anyway, so I’m not sure
it would buy us much.

WDYT?

Ludo’.