guix-devel

Re: Colors and progress indicators on buildprocesses

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Colors and progress indicators on buildprocesses
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:57:16 +0000

address@hidden writes:

> Hi
>
> I recently installed Parabola and have played around a bit with
> compiling AUR-packages to be able to run the programs I want - packaged
> or not.
>
> Having build a lot on guixsd a while ago I noticed some differences in
> the cli-overview that I would like to present.
>
> Colorfication and arrows (=>) are used to clearly distinguish
> pacaur/pacman-commands from the buildprocess output.
>
> A nice thing I saw on some builds (build of qt during build of
> telegram-desktop) was a per build process percentage indicator located
> in the beginning of each line of build output like this:
> [ 0% ] lorem ipsum....
> [ 10% ] lorem ipsum....
>
> In addition to these two above I have an idea as well:
> Use the terminal-title wisely to show the progress of the whole
> transaction and the current running build (e.g.: "Download complete.
> Buildprogress 4/5: building qt"
>
> What do you think?

The problem with colors is that the use of colors in build logs creates
very difficult to read logs if you don't filter them. I think this is
one of the reasons why we don't have colors.
I am not against it, I just think it will make helping people a little
harder when they provide such logs. On the other hand, if we manage to
filter the colors out in the build logs somehow, this is of no concern
to us.
--
              ng0