guix-devel

Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 10:21:10 +0200

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 09:17:30PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
     Hi Guix,

     our build of the ???texmaker??? package is broken ever since we disabled
the
     webkit module of our Qt package.  I???m currently looking into packaging
     up the needed Qt modules, but the obvious question remains: do we want
     this?  ???qtwebengine??? not only bundles chromium, chromium itself also
     bundles a whole bunch of other stuff.

     Personally, I think it???s acceptable to package ???qtwebengine??? because
     ultimately it???s up to the Qt and Chromium developers to keep their
     software secure ??? and it???s up to the developers of software like
     Texmaker to choose their dependencies wisely.  As long as we keep
     Chromium out of our default ???qt??? package, thereby preventing it from
     being installed for every Qt application, I think we???re good.

     What do you think?  The alternative is to drop Texmaker and all the
     other packages that depend on Chromium as distributed by Qt.

I thought that Chromium was non-free ??

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3