guix-devel

Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 12:41:52 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus writes:

>>> I have no problems dropping Texmaker.  I’m not even using it.
>>
>> Ouch.  I was the one who submitted the package when the Qt modules
>> weren't unbundled yet (I guess).  Now, because of a change of how we
>> package Qt, we're ready to remove a program that used to work just
>> fine..?
>>
>> What's next?  Throw the calibre package out of the window too because
>> it's broken for GNU Guix users?
>
> Today I don’t seem to be communicating effectively.  What I meant was
> that *personally* I have no interest in this software, which should be
> sufficient to defuse the insinuation that I think “bundling is ok when
> it suits [me]” (a remark I consider needlessly inflammatory, despite the
> emoticon).
>
> Obviously, I haven’t removed Texmaker — that would have been a simpler
> fix to a broken build than what I actually did: investigating the issue,
> packaging up more Qt modules, looking into the sources of qtwebengine,
> and discussing what to do on the mailing list.
>
> All I’m saying is that we must do *something* because right now the
> situation is just as if we had dropped Texmaker: it cannot be built,
> neither on Hydra nor on individual people’s machines.  And it won’t be
> buildable unless someone does the work.  Hence my email.
>
> I feel I’ve spent too much time of my Saturday on this already.  I’m not
> very motivated to continue working on this.

Right.  I'm looking into it.  It seems that Texmaker wants
"Webkitwidgets", which are unsupported since version 5.6:

>From https://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/03/16/qt-5-6-released/:
> With 5.6, Qt WebKit and Qt Quick 1 will no longer be supported and are
> dropped from the release. The source code for these modules will still
> be available. You can continue to compile and use these modules, but
> we will not be supporting them any longer.

So we should be able to compile it separately as described here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/qtwebkit5.html

This only makes me wonder whether this is at all secure.

I will try to add a separate qt-webkit(widgets) package and see if that
solves the build problems for Texmaker.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen