guix-devel

Re: Guix "ops"

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Guix "ops"
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 16:10:51 -0500

Ludovic Courtès writes:

>> There's a lot of good ideas in this thread.  Will be good to make
>> progress on them!
>
> Yup!  The need for this tool is becoming stronger, especially now that
> we’re starting to run GuixSD on our build farm machines.
>
> Ludo’.

So yeah, I'm going to start playing around with building some on some of
these ideas soonish.  I could use some advice, though.  Assume I'm able
to build the right scheme representation of the system I want to be run
remotely on another machine (whether it's a gexp, whatever).  What's the
right way to go about this?  Assume for the moment that I have a remote
"target" machine already running GuixSD and I can ssh into it.

 - Should I write out an sexp of the system I want to be built, write it
   to a scheme file I copy over, and then invoke the guile command line
   tools to start it up?

 - Should I write out an sexp of the script I want to run and execute it
   as a normal guile program?

 - Should I build the entire derivation of the system I want to run on
   the remote machine locally first, then copy that over?  (I assume
   this is possible, and eventually desirable, especially if doing
   mass deployments?  But it might not be desirable in every case.)
   Would that use the substitute mechanism?

Thoughts and guidance appreciated!
 - Chris