guix-devel

Re: Patent nonsense: zstd

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Patent nonsense: zstd
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 01:26:49 +0100

[...and now CC'ing the list because mail is hard.]

Leo,

On 05/11/16 19:56, Leo Famulari wrote:
> My 2¢ are quoted from the GNU Free System Distribution Guidelines
> [0], which Guix does follow:
>
> [...] they're often worded so as to make it hard to tell what they
> do or don't cover, [...]

I got the same vibes from the answers in that GitHub thread[0]. I'm
easily suspicious.

> [...] On the other hand, we also don't object if a distributor
> chooses to omit some software in order to avoid patent risk.

This is (partly) what prompted me to write to guix-devel in the first
place: I wasn't sure if the Guix maintainers have their own opinions on
the matter.

> But like I said, my opinion on this subject is only worth 2¢ ;)

Still more sense than I started with. Thanks!

Kind regards,

T G-R