guix-devel

Re: Shepherd does not recycle zombie processes

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Shepherd does not recycle zombie processes
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 09:53:57 +0100

Hi,

Carlo Zancanaro <address@hidden> skribis:

> I've had problems with Shepherd and its daemonize action. If I run
> daemonize (as the first thing when Shepherd starts) then it fails to handle
> signals from child processes.

Could it be that you invoke the ‘daemonize’ action after respawnable
processes have been started?  The manual has this caveat (info
"(shepherd) The root and unknown services"):

  ‘daemonize’
       Fork and go into the background.  This should be called before
       respawnable services are started, as otherwise we would not get the
       ‘SIGCHLD’ signals when they terminate.

HTH,
Ludo’.