guix-devel

Re: How to use custom grub?

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: How to use custom grub?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 11:36:51 +0000

Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hmm, did you mean (package->drivation (grub-configuration-grub
>> (operating-system-bootloader os))) ? Otherwise it can't work.
>
> Fixing typo:
>
> Hmm, did you mean (package->derivation (grub-configuration-grub
> (operating-system-bootloader os))) ? Otherwise it can't work.
>
> It gives you a derivation which you can use derivation->output-path
> (which returns a file path) on and then invoke the executable or
> whatever.

That's it! This makes it pick up (bootloader (grub-configuration (grub
grub-efi))) from my config.scm:

making '/gnu/store/kgk9rrawq9fxh1g2j6121gl3lcz47395-system' the current
system...
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

Even though I'm now working on multi-platform grub, I think we should
have this anyway so that the "grub" argument works as expected. WDYT?

Also, since this works, maybe it's better to have grub-efi as a separate
package, as it will add ~8MiB to the grub closure (the x86_64-efi
platform directory is 6.1MiB; efibootmgr adds another ~2MiB).

Thanks!